I thought that some development would be introduced into this blog instead of my random ramblings. So I’ve been hanging around the open handheld community for a while, I have a couple of devices (Dingoo a320, GPH Caanoo). And I’ve been talking to the dev community for some time now. One thing that I requested one of the devs pcercuei (Paul) was that the OpenDingux kernel they were working on would have the ability to be installed on and booted from nand. After about a year of OD development Paul wrote a bootloader and shortly afterwards he wrote a guide on how to get it set up and working, so I took it upon myself to create an installer to make this easier to do for the end user. These series of blog posts should keep people updated on my progress and also maybe give some helpful hints.
- The master branch of the qi-kernel git repository does not contain a a320_defconfig, to find it you need to switch to one of the development branches, like “jz-3.6” (latest at the time).
git clone git://projects.qi-hardware.com/qi-kernel.git git checkout -b jz-3.6 origin/jz-3.6
- By default ubimkvol uses LZO compression on it’s created volumes, I have not figured out a way on how to turn this off, so I did something else instead. In kernel make menuconfig, I enabled LZO compression compatibility on both the install kernel (SD Card kernel) and the target kernel (NAND kernel). This will allow LZO compressed UBIFS volumes to be mounted in OD no problem.
- The link to the UBIBoot git repo is old and broken, the new one is:
git clone git://github.com/pcercuei/UBIBoot.git
I hope Paul will add these notes to his own blog post eventually too. But moving on…
I set up both kernels, created both ubifs volumes and filled them with the rootfs and kernel accordingly. Flashed the new bootloader and started testing. First thing I noticed was that the bootloader won’t boot if there’s no SD card inserted into the device, weird… I’ve checked everything and it seems that both the rootfs and kernel are being used from the ubi volumes and the sd card was an empty one. Going along with my testing I uploaded eduke32 through ftp to the rootfs and tried launching it. What happened afterwards was that my device hung there and after restarting it it wouldn’t boot at all. :D. I’m thinking it might be because of the lzo compression of the volumes or maybe that I tried writing to a device that was mounted read only (rootfs).
And that’s all for now folks.